Using a Nebuliser With a Mask
Many medications are available as inhaled treatments. Inhaled methods deliver medication directly to the airway, which is helpful for lung diseases.
A nebuliser consists of a nebuliser (small plastic bowl with a screw-top lid) and a source for compressed air. The air flow to the nebuliser changes the medication solution to a mist. When inhaled correctly, the medication has a better chance to reach the small airways. This increases the medication’s effectiveness.
How To Assemble the Nebuliser and Air Compressor:
- Wash your hands prior to preparing each treatment.
- Use a clean nebuliser.
- Measure the correct dose of medication and other solutions prescribed by your doctor. Add these to the nebuliser.
- Connect the air tubing from the compressor to the nebuliser.
- Attach a mask to the nebuliser.
- Turn the compressor on and check the nebuliser for misting.
If the Nebuliser Is Not Misting
- Check all connections.
- Refer to manufacturer’s instructions.
Taking the Nebulised Treatment
- Hold the mask to the face so both the nose and mouth are covered. The mask may be secured to the head with an elastic band.
- Turn the compressor on to start the mist. The head should be held upright.
- Assure deep breathing throughout the treatment.
- Occasionally tapping the side of the nebuliser helps the solution to drop to where it can be misted.
- Continue the treatment until it is empty, you will hear it sputtering.
Care and Cleaning of Nebuliser Equipment After Each Use
Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the nebuliser equipment. Some suggested guidelines include the following:
Take apart the nebuliser. Wash all parts (except tubing) in liquid dish soap and water. Rinse with water.
- After washing the nebuliser shake off any excess water.
- Reattach the nebuliser pieces and tubing to the air compressor and turn on the compressor to dry the nebuliser quickly.
- Make sure the nebuliser is completely dry before storing.
Care of Nebuliser Equipment
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and care of compressor you are using.
- It is recommended to have it serviced at least once a year