|How to Improve Your Sleep Habits Right Now
By Sherry L Harris
Sherry L Harris
Sherry Harris is a 40+ mom with a busy schedule. Like most people she found herself tired all the time from a lack of sleep. … …
There are many things you can do that will help you get on track toward many nights of restful and relaxing sleep. Insomnia will no longer ruin your nights. Here are some tips you can follow.
1) Try to go to bed at the same time every night. This will help to retrain your body toward a much healthier and more consistent sleep pattern. Your brain will then be able to sense what time you need to get rest, and what time you are done with sleep when you are waking up. The more sporadic your sleeping times become, the worse your insomnia will be.
2) You should be exercising regularly, approximately three days a week, for twenty minutes each day. Not only will this help to relieve tension and stress that sometimes keep you lying awake at night, but it also helps you feel tired. If you exercise early in the morning, you have a great boost of energy because of the endorphins and adrenaline that are released. Throughout the day, the body slowly begins to wind down and then feels sleepy when the appropriate time comes.
3) It would be a good idea to try to fall asleep in silence. Many people feel that they have trouble sleeping when it is too quiet in the room, but the television is the most distracting thing of all. Even when your eyes are closed, the images change color and intensity, causing several disruptions for you mentally. Your mind will continue to race, which in turn will bring on bouts of restlessness all night. If you really put your mind to it, the silence will not be so unsettling after a few tries.
4) Though it might seem so comfortable to you when you are relaxing, it is not a good idea to consistently fall asleep on the couch. Most couches do not provide adequate back support, and can cause a great deal of tossing and turning throughout the night. Focus on making your bed as welcoming as possible so that you always want to make the effort to get up off the couch even when you are drowsy to go lie down in your room.
5) The napping absolutely has to stop. If you have any hope of sleeping for a full eight hours every night, then taking ten to twenty minutes of poor rest during the day is not the way to go about it. You are interrupting the natural cycle of sleep, and it will be harder for your body to recognize that it is in need of rest when night falls. Besides, the power nap really will not do much for you because it does not last long enough to achieve a comfortable state.
6) You have to eat better so that your digestive system is not overworking itself at night. Eating a diet rich in vitamins and minerals will help to regulate you, giving you an energy boost throughout the day, and then a drowsy feeling at night in order to revitalize appropriately as you sleep.
|Sherry Harris is the author of the successful e-book “101 Amazingly Simple Ways to Beat Insomnia”. Get the FREE e-book at http://www.ScentToSleep.com Knock-out insomnia for good with aromatherapy sleep mist, so you can wake up refreshed and energized – visit us now.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sherry_L_Harris